Saturday, January 9, 2010

The First Step

Well, it's really somewhere around the third step, but making the call to the travel agent today about the logistics (and, ah, the cost) of travelling around the world for six months made it a real thing, as opposed to 'that big trip I might take one day.'

That big trip being, you guessed it, The Epic Voyage. To summarize, this is something I've been wanting to do for years and years - a long-term trip around (some of) the world. I've been saving up for about four years (so, the real step one) and have finally decided whereabouts I'll be going (I'll share the final itinerary when I have it) and for how long (about six months - and the real step two). The time's come where I've got enough money, so I'm going to make it happen in 2010.

I want to blog about it while I'm doing it, if only to have a record for myself, friends and family of everything I anticipate I'll get up to, so I thought I'd better start making it a regular thing now. Trying to start a blog while also trying to adjust to six months as a nomad didn't seem as though it would work out well!

I travelled quite a lot in 2009, and kept meaning to start the blog then so I could write about my weekend trips, etc., but before I knew it the year had flown by and The Epic Voyage didn't exist. Now that it does, I'm going to perhaps do a little 'retro-active' writing about some the trips I took in 2009 - San Diego, Chicago, NYC, Boston, London, Paris, etc. - to sort of get in the habit. I'll also document what goes into planning the upcoming trip and how it's going. Thus far, it's going well! I'll get an estimate for the airfare costs on Monday, with a plan to book the tickets by the end of this month. In between then and the end of May, when I plan to leave, there's a lot more to think about - work, my apartment, vaccinations, visas, boyfriends (actually just one of those), packing - but for now, I've taken the first step!

No comments:

Post a Comment