Saturday, December 4, 2010

More Travel by the Numbers and Other Thoughts

With just under three weeks left of my journey (yep, sorry folks, that's how fast time has flown!), it seems a good time to update some of my numbers from a few months ago, and maybe add some more. Here we go...

Plane rides: 27
Train rides: 14
Boat/ferry rides: 27
Airlines flown: 16
Books read (not including travel guides!): 26
Mosquito bites (cumulative): It's horrific...
Longest time without a shower: Still 3 days
Family members travelled with: 3
UNESCO sites visited: 49 (I decided I'd look at the list and count all the ones I've ever seen in my life to make myself feel better- now I only have 862 more to see!)
Dollars spent: About $11,000 (Ah yes, I am SO broke folks, so broke...)
Biggest local currency exchange rate to the dollar: $1 = 8600 Indonesian Rupiah
Watches broken: 3
Sunglasses lost/broken: 3
Nationalities encountered most often (unscientific): The Brits dominate, followed by the Germans, Dutch and Swedes in equal numbers, then the Israelis, the French, the Aussies...and a smattering of others. Very few Americans- come on folks!

- A girl CAN live on apples, peanut butter and bread for a week, but I DON'T recommend it!

- Many travelers I meet are Atheists. I find this, well, just interesting, really. I believe that I believe in something, and I suppose I'm surprised that more folks don't think there's something bigger than us, given the incredible natural wonders and whatnot that we've all seen. (Note: I do not intend to start a religious debate here, it's JUST an observation!)

- I hate how money can get in the way of stuff I want to do- eating, going on a cool day trip, buying something awesome I can't get anywhere else. Everything (especially at this point) has to be calculated, and it can take the fun out of stuff. I think society should revert to bartering: "A dirty travel towel and an Old Navy pair of leggings for a hostel bed?" or "A pair of used earplugs and some Ziplocs for that sandwich?" Yeah, I think that would work.

- A load of clean laundry can brighten a traveler's day more than you can imagine!

- In hostels, it's always the GIRLS who snore like overloaded freight trains. Eye masks, ear plugs and sleeping pills are also sacred to the budget traveler!

- I love my travels, but I'm looking forward to going home and seeing everyone (Plus, Christmas carols and decorations in hot, sunny weather is a head trip!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment