Monday, May 24, 2010

And so it begins...

Eeeeek! I'm leaving for the airport in an hour. People have been asking me for ages if I'm nervous about this whole thing, and I've kept saying no, because I really wasn't, but today I feel totally nervous! Excited nervous. And not sure exactly what's making me nervous. I'm packed (sort of...this has to be quick!), flights confirmed, cell phone charged... I think I just can't believe this thing I've dreamt about and planned for so long is happening. Now. Today. Like I said, eeeek!!!!

The past two weeks at home have been great, if a bit stressful trying to get everything ready. This last week in particular I have: raided Wal-Mart three times (I'm fine if I NEVER go there again), packed and unpacked twice, called AT&T three times and the bank three times (adding up to about 4 frustrating hours on the phone), booked five places to stay, broken down and cried about how it's all too stressful and I don't want to go anymore four times and stayed out waaaaay too late in NY City once (which was enough - 24+ hours later I'm still feeling it!).

I'm exhausted, and the thing I've done ZERO times is read any travel books or Web sites or know anything about anything except that Greece will be cheap and Bangkok is dangerous.

I'm going to try to stay Zen though, and remember the below advice that I read on a wall in that most sacred of retail places, Cost Plus, many moons ago when the Voyage was but still a dream:

("A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu)

Until next time...Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Be safe my friend! You are going to have an amazing time and I am so proud of you. You are an inspiration to all of us to just 'get up and go.' Life is too short and you are taking it by the reins!

    Miss you already, but can't wait to live vicariously through your adventures!

    ReplyDelete