Friday, March 11, 2011

Fashion Week, Dahling!

There's no doubt that my travels have affected me profoundly, but HERE'S something I didn't expect: a decreased interest in the lives and times of celebrities! "What?!" I hear you exclaim! "Susie? Who would EAT Us Weekly and People if they provided any nutritional value?" Yes indeed friends, and here's how I know...

In late January I had the good fortune to receive a phone call from an old (as in, long time!) friend who works for IMG, the company that owns and produces Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. The team needed an admin person to handle the sponsor invitations (I won't bore you with the details), and PJ was aware that I was available and totally broke. "Fashion Week?" said I, "Sounds terrible. I'm in!"

The following week I relocated to New York City, taking over my mom's studio apartment in the meatpacking district (thanks Mother!). I worked at the IMG offices to start with- a good reintroduction to desks and cubes and coffee machines and late nights, etc.- but the fun REALLY started when we moved uptown to Lincoln Center where the event was to take place.



Let's just say that though I was busy, it was basically a week-long party that I was paid to attend! Fashion shows, free drinks, amazing goodies, karaoke extravaganzas and...wait for it...CELEBRITIES! I saw Denise Richards, Patti LaBelle, Eve, Cat Deely, Natasha Bedingfield, Vanessa Hudgens, Anna Wintour, Fergie (as in the BEPs, not former royalty), some Real Housewives, Gwen Stefani- the list goes on. Aaaaand, I kinda didn't care. I mean, it was great to see if they look the same in real life as in the pictures (I was surprised that Denise is SO skinny, but Eve is truly stunning), but I was sort of...over it. I REALLY knew I was over it when someone said, "Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas are backstage at Michael Kors- go see!" and I didn't. "Eh," I said to myself. (I DID go sneak an up-close peek at Gwen before her L.A.M.B. show, but only because someone else wanted to!)






What had I become? Was I all 'holier than thou' and above this stuff after my travels? No, I don't think so, because I'll still indulge in an episode of Jersey Shore or whip through a Life & Style given the chance (or given the $2.99- I just really can't afford this stuff at the moment!). I think I've just got some different/new interests now. Maybe it's temporary and I'll rekindle the old flame with celebrity gossip, but for now, Snooki can wait.

Fewer than 48 hours after Fashion Week ended, I hopped a flight to San Francisco where I spent a fantastic 11 days chillin' out, maxin', relaxin' all cool with my California besties. Much has happened since my return and new adventures are afoot- more on that soon! Right now, I gotta head to a babysitting gig- hey, she works hard for the money!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a life you live, Susie! Sounds like you are having so much fun - live it up, girl!! Love your blog and writing BTW! XOXO, Jnichs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! Looks like all is going well with you as well- love seeing the photos! xx

    ReplyDelete