Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My visit to San Francisco and the perils of flying with Delta

Oh San Fran, why must you always make my heart ache so? Beautiful, familiar, full of fantastic people, I had a BLAST there during the last two weeks of February. I set off almost immediately after Fashion Week, and though Delta got me into town almost three hours late (but that's not why Delta is perilous- more on that shortly), I was just happy to be back and looking forward to catching up with friends and coworkers. 'Coworkers?' I hear you muse, 'Wouldn't they technically be former coworkers?' Technically they wouldn't be, my friends, for that is my happy news that I might as well get to sooner rather than later: I am again an Allison & Partners employee! (Gasp!) But not in San Francisco! (Huh?). I'M GOING TO LONDON!!! (Whaaaaat the...?) Yes yes, I've been charged with taking the A&P name to the UK- a grand task and an even grander adventure. I leave in two weeks to return to the land of my birth and my original home town: Wimbledon. Watch this space for how it all goes, I'll be documenting it all here!

So, of course my acceptance of this fabulous position was one of the most exciting things to happen while I was in San Francisco, but it was one of many fantastic activities organized by my wonderful wonderful friends: a day trip to Napa (natch), an Oscar party (the King-Corrals created eats based on all the best pictures: Soy Story 3, The Salted Nutwork, some King's Quiche, anyone?), an A&P happy hour (always epic), trivia night (established 2007 and still going strong), reliving the dream at The Boardroom and Kells (there are no words. The photos say it all...), coffees, brunches, lunches, dinners out, dinners in- I even managed to squeeze in a baby shower. Phew! Thanks SO MUCH to everyone who made it so much fun- you know who you are. What an absolutely phenomenal visit- I can't WAIT to get back (say, in, July...?).



Needless to say I was sad to leave. Very sad. Who wouldn't be after all that fun? Plus I've spent almost a year now having amazing times in unbelievable places and then having to tear myself away. I'm a bit sick of it, if I'm honest. Anyway, I head off the airport feeling very, very glum. Excited about London for sure, but like I said, I hate goodbyes and I feel like it's all I do lately! It was a bummer of a day as I went to check in for my Delta flight to New York. Not only was I sad, I was also TOTALLY broke (still am, until I start working in a few weeks), so when Delta charged me NINETY dollars for a bag that was NINE pounds overweight, yes NINE-ZERO for nine pounds, I just about lost it. I will leave you with what I had to say to the good people of Delta, and I trust all my dear readers will now use the company's services with great caution. Farewell for now, I am leaving for a visit to our nation's capital, during which I trust UNITED will treat me just a tad better. Oh, and carry on baggage only.


Delta Airlines
Atlanta, GA

March 3, 2011

Dear Delta,

First of all, Delta, let me say this: We’ve had some pretty good times over the years, you and I. I’ve trusted you on many occasions to ferry me safely back and forth between the American coasts. You typically succeed in getting me to my destination on time in as much comfort as one can expect on a domestic flight these days, and I’ve often selected you over your competitors for your reasonable fares.

Therefore, when on my way to San Francisco at the end of February, I let it go when I was kept sitting on the tarmac for three hours in New York. I thought, ‘It’s OK Delta, I know you’re doing your best, I understand.’

But yesterday, Delta, you got me thinking that I might have to abandon this relationship for good. Yesterday, you made a pretty awful day a lot worse.

I was leaving San Francisco after a visit. A former resident, I was claiming the last of my stuff and saying goodbye forever not only to a beautiful city and fabulous friends, but also to a former love. All in all, devastating.

I knew my suitcase was heavy, but I had no choice. I had to stuff those belongings in there so as to effectively remove myself from said love’s apartment- it would be too awful for both of us if my bits and bobs were still lying around.

Arriving heartbroken to the airport, I checked in and paid the obligatory baggage fee- let me just say I’m not one to be too bothered by this, I just accept it as a way of today’s world. Following that, I went to baggage drop, and that’s where you dropped the bomb on me Delta. My bag was nine pounds overweight- nine pounds, lighter than most free weights at the gym- and you charged me…wait for it…NINETY DOLLARS!

Ninety dollars for nine pounds? Doesn’t that sound ridiculous even to you? Now listen Delta, I get that you have to make money, and I’m happy to abide by the policies of your organization and pay my fair share. But $90? The bag wasn’t 50 pounds overweight, it was NINE.

I was stunned Delta, absolutely shocked. My life was in that suitcase. It was like the doctor saying, ‘You’ve had a beautiful baby girl! But she weighs eight pounds and here we charge extra for babies over six, so you’ll have to pay before you can take her home. Or would you like to repack her into two babies?’ I mean, really?

I am so disappointed Delta. That said, like the relationship I left behind in San Francisco, it doesn’t have to end this way. You’ve had a loyal customer in me for so long, let’s not let this ruin it.

I’m happy to send along a copy of my receipt, and I look forward to your feedback. I’m going to put my faith in you Delta, and trust that you’ll do the right thing. If you do, I’ll refrain from sharing this little hiccup with my 770+ Facebook friends and several hundred Twitter followers.

Best,
Susanna Hughes
SkyMiles Member


UPDATE: Delta refused to do, how do I say this elegantly, s**t. (Although the first lady to write me back said my email made her day and she hopes I keep flying with them.) I realize Delta isn't much different from its competitors, but when does it stop, my friends? "You can't wear jeans in the First Class Cabin. Unless you have something to change into, that'll be $100." "Your bag has 11 pockets and our policy is that carry-on bags can only have 10, $50 please" "Your Marc Jacobs bag is from last season, $75 please". I also wonder, what if I had weighed nine more pounds? Which up until a couple of weeks ago I actually did. "Oh miss, you're looking a little chubby. Too much naan in India? Thought so. $90 please." I mean, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment